You are probably reading this post because you are interested in starting your own blog/website and want to learn how to choose a domain name for a blog.
Believe me, I have been there. Four years ago, I didn’t know anything about how to get a domain name and how to buy them. I was pretty much confused, to say the least.
Unfortunately, the process how to choose a domain name for your blog is still quite complex and unintelligible.
There are dozens of different websites and hosting providers who promote “cheap domain registration” or even “free domains” (which I don’t advise you get, see FAQ).
In today’s post, I’ll cut through the clutter and teach you how to choose a domain name for a blog or website that you have.
Things you should know on how to get a domain name…
Before you go and buy a blog domain for your website, I want you to keep reading…
First of all, domain names are quite cheap ($5 to $15 per year), but they are sort of long-term. If you buy a domain, you will most likely use it at least a year or more.
Well, every domain expires in a year which means you’ll need to renew it after every 12 months.
If you don’t want the domain you’ve already bought, you can simply leave it and stop paying for it. In that way, it expires and soon will be deleted.
What is the BEST domain name?
Some blog domain name ideas…
I know, I know, choosing to buy a blog domain name is a pretty exciting thing to do. I absolutely love it.
However, it’s no longer 2005 and the best possible domain names are (probably) already taken. For example, there are currently more than 150,000,000 active domain names.
And oh, here’s something interesting for you to read: Most expensive domain names ever sold.
Before you go and buy a blog domain, do some brainstorming in order to come up with something:
- …and unique
It’s pretty common that many first-time bloggers go and buy a domain name which they quickly abandon.
Usually, the name wasn’t good enough, bloggers got some bad feedback or the author didn’t like it after all.
Keep in mind that your blog’s (or website’s) address will be the online business card and identity.
Many people don’t follow these simple principles and that may become an obstacle in the future.
Blog domain name examples
When we look at popular and successful blogs, most of them have easy and simple domain names, just like TechCrunch, SmartPassiveIncome or WarriorForum.
And oh, one more thing. While I suggest you stick with a .com extension, you can always go and buy .info, .org, .net, .us as well.
Where to buy a blog domain name?
As I mentioned earlier, there are literally tons of places where you can buy yourself a domain… but there’s one thing you need to keep in mind.
When you buy a domain, you will need hosting as well. Without hosting you will be unable to create a blog on your domain.
I have managed to the cut the “crap” and found some really good domain registrars that don’t scam and steal your money.
In addition, all of them have very good customer support (in case you’ll need it).
- Hostpapa – $5 per domain, but you are able to get hosting from them as well.
- GoDaddy – $5 to $15 per domain
- Namecheap – $10 per domain, but you’ll get a privacy protection for free (1 year only)
- BlueHost – Free domain, $2.95 and up per month for hosting.
So don’t wait – go and get the domain name before someone else takes it!
P.S: If you follow the tutorial on the homepage, you don’t need to buy domain and host separately. You can get both (domain & hosting) from Hostpapa. I’ve made a step by step tutorial for it.
To make things simple for people who are just starting their first blog or website, I’ll show you how to buy a domain name for your blog.
In this tutorial, we are going to use Hostpapa as our domain registrar. Why? They provide a domain for only $5 to anyone who signs up for their hosting – sweet deal!
How to choose a domain name for a blog?
- Head over to the Hostpapa homepage.
- Type in the desired domain name and check if it’s available.
- Pick a plan for your domain.
1. Head over to the Hostpapa homepage
(Follow those images below)
Click on “Start Your Site Now”.
2. Type in the desired domain name and check if it’s available
In this case, I’m using www.YourNewBlog.com as an example. Choose ” Register a new domain”.
If you already have a domain and you plan to use hosting for hosting only, then tick the second option.
3. Pick a plan for your domain
First, you’ll need to fill in your personal details. This is only for privacy reasons so the transaction can go smoothly between Hostpapa and you (registrar).
Website essentials are optional and not needed. However, it’s wise to choose “Automated backups” in case you mess something up (this can happen if you are a beginner).
The total price for blog domain & hosting will vary from $35 to $45. In my opinion, it’s a bargain compared with other web hosting companies.
If you wish to see a more in-depth tutorial for setting up a blog on your domain name, go check my tutorial here: https://startbloggingonline.com/ (homepage).
A few last words…
- If you don’t want to buy the domain name and hosting together, you can buy the domain from Namecheap here.
- Buying a domain to start a blog is easy when you know the whole process, but it may seem difficult when doing it for the first time. That’s the main reason I made this step-by-step guide on how to buy a domain name for your blog.
- If you experience any problems during the domain buying process, contact the support team and they’ll solve it. The average response time is mostly less than a few minutes.
Furthermore, if you need any help setting up your domain or blog, shoot me an e-mail to [email protected] and I’m more than happy to help you out!
1. How to pick/choose a good domain name for your blog?
Many readers asked me this question so I wrote a post about it. You can refer to How to Choose a Domain Name to Be Proud Of.
2. How Much Does a Domain Name Cost?
If you want to know how much does it cost to buy a domain name, you can refer to How Much Does a Domain Name Cost? Pricing and Registration Fees.
3. How to register a domain name for your blog?
The process would be exactly the same as “how to buy a domain name for your blog” as outlined above.
4. How to get a free domain name for your blog?
There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Technically, you can get a free domain name from Blogger but I don’t advise it because
- it looks unprofessional e.g. myblog.blogspot.com instead of myblog.com
- you can’t customize your site with plugins and design templates
- it limits your options for making money with your site